Welcome

Welcome to my blog (that my dear, sweet friends insisted I needed)!

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Mothers and daughters


I have been thinking about my mom a lot lately, so much so that you would think its almost Mother's Day! Well, her birthday is just around the corner, so I do have that excuse. Regardless, she has been on my mind frequently, so I wanted to take a moment to say how grateful I am to have such a wonderful mother. She has stood beside me through thick and thin. She has loved me when most wouldn't. She has believed in me when most haven't. But most of all, she has been a pillar of strength and love whenever I've needed her, even when I didn't know I needed her. If I can be at least half the mother she has been to me, then I know I have done my best for my daughters.

There is a special bond most mothers and daughters share that cannot necessarily be explained, but exists nonetheless. And I have seen this bond first hand with my mother, with my children, and with the other mothers and daughters in my life. This bond is not tied to blood, but rather to the actions and relationships developed between woman and girl. So I ask you this, what is your definition of a mother? What does mother mean to you?

Now, I will be the first to admit that my mother is human, as am I. But to me, my mother is a super (reference to The Incredibles. If you haven't seen it, you need to). With that, I leave you with a cute picture and a lovely poem:

Mothers and Daughters
Anonymous

You can see it in their eyes,
in tender hugs and long good-byes,
a love that only moms and daughters know.

You can see it in their smiles,
through passing years and changing styles,
a friendship that continually seems to grow.

You can see it in their lives,
the joy each one of them derives,
in just knowing that the other one is there...

To care and to understand,
lend an ear or hold a hand,
and to celebrate the memories they share.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome and appreciated, but please keep it clean! You never know what young eyes might be reading my blog. Thank you!